Proposals for a modern, exciting new £25 million leisure centre in Leighton-Linslade have been published and Central Bedfordshire Council is asking local people to have their say on the proposals.
The consultation is open for 12 weeks until Friday 22 July 2022.
The new leisure centre will include:
· 3 new swimming pools – an eight-lane 25 metre community swimming pool complete with 100 spectator seats, a learner pool with a moveable floor to alter the depth for lessons and other activities, and a separate shallow pool, known as a ‘confidence water’
· a large 150 station fitness suite (gym),
· two multi-use studios for various exercise classes and activities
· a dedicated group cycle studio
· two squash courts
· a creche and café
· two Changing Places facilities
· access to walking and cycling routes linking to the new and existing communities and nearby informal open space
The proposed leisure centre will be in the Clipstone Park housing development, on the east of Leighton-Linslade, and will benefit from a landscaped setting and outdoor sports pitches which are being provided by the new housing developments; as well as a large car park and a bus stop providing good access for residents and leisure centre users.
Three in-person events and one online engagement event will enable people to meet the project team and look at the plans. They will take place on the following dates and times:
– 14th May (10am – 3pm) – Tiddenfoot Leisure Centre
– 17th May (10am – 2pm) – Leighton Buzzard Market
– 21st June (6pm- 7.30pm) – Online Teams meeting
– 2nd July (10am – 3pm) – Leighton Buzzard Library Theatre
All the engagement sessions are drop-in, except for the online Teams meeting, which people interested in attending will need to email: firstname.lastname@example.org to book a place.
Councillor Tracey Stock, Executive Member for Health, Wellbeing & Communities, said: “We continue to invest significantly in new sports and leisure facilities across Central Bedfordshire as part of our commitment to provide communities with access to modern, high-quality leisure facilities.
“The current leisure facility in Leighton-Linslade is outdated and no longer fit for purpose so we plan to build a superb, new £25million centre. We hope the proposals, which feature a range of impressive activities in a wonderful new setting, excite residents as we strive to provide enhanced health and wellbeing options for people to use and enjoy.
“I encourage people to read the proposals, have their say and hopefully be inspired to lead a more active lifestyle using the local facilities available to them.”
People can comment online by going to www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/consultations or request a paper copy of the consultation information and questionnaire by emailing email@example.com or calling 0300 300 8301. Paper copies are also available at Tiddenfoot Leisure Centre.
Subject to planning approval, the construction of the new leisure centre will start in 2023 and is likely to open in summer 2025. The new facility will replace those facilities at the existing Tiddenfoot Leisure Centre.
To ensure continuous leisure provision is available for residents, the existing centre will stay open until the new centre is complete.
A Community Use Agreement with Cedars School will ensure the community can continue to use the current sports hall and squash courts, which will be run by the school.
More information on the consultation, including FAQs, can be found on the council’s website.